Sakleshpur - April 25

Well, I finally fell ill. 20th evening I was speaking with Maa and she asked me about my health. I said I was perfect, no problem at all. I've been having hotel food for almost a month, many times not the best of places when it comes to hygiene, water from all kinds of sources, from forest streams to dingy hotels, to well water, to water directly from the wash basin in small towns. But I am doing fine when it comes to health you know! I think it's true what they say about 'Tathastu Devta'. 22nd I felt weak and puky and went down with diarrhoea. It's amazing how one day you are fine and the next day you become so weak that just getting up to fetch some water for yourself becomes such a pain. So I slept almost the whole of 22nd. I figured I got dehydrated completely in the last walk, so I drank a lot of water with electral. The next day I felt much better. We moved from Napokulu to Sakleshpur. I was looking forward to doing the Sakleshpur grids. We reached Sakleshpur around noon and it was just so hot that I started feeling dehydrated and weak again. Yesterday was no better. I just felt so weak and tired when I got up in the morning, just felt like sleeping on and on. I pulled myself together and got ready for the walk. Maa chose to call at that time and I suddenly felt so homesick. I wanted to get out of this heat and sweat and filth and into the cool comfort and warmth of home. I didn't tell her I am unwell. No point getting people all worried when they can't do anything. I wasn't feeling any better, in fact I was getting nervous about this weakness which wasn't getting any better. I pulled out of the walk and saw a doctor in the city. Doc said it was fatigue and exhaustion and dehydration and suggested I take lots of fluids and rest for a day or two. He had been to MP but not to Bhopal. He said I am his guest and didn't charge any money.

So here I am, sitting in a IB and resting. Everybody else has gone on walk. We moved here last night. Like all IB's, it's a neat place. The only problem is it doesn't have electricity. So in the hot and humid day, there's no fan. Most of the times, there's no breeze either. So it gets quite sultry in here. Today is also my rest day. I might rest tomorrow also, that depends. I will then have a few more days of walking before I pack up from here. It was really good that I was able to reach Preetam last evening. I feel more confident about my health after speaking with him.

No comments: